Tuesday, May 24, 2011

River's Diary: Part Six by myownknight

An opportunity to write.

Our current job is on Santos, yet another center of discreet smuggling and mischievous activity. The cargo is box after box of tea leaves, hundreds in total. Being at a loss as to the use of such, didn't stop the Cap'n from snapping at easy cashy money. I'm transcribing this entry on my data-pad, as I await the crews return with the cargo. Pickup's not far, just a few city blocks away. I can still feel their presence, even in the roar of Santos' second biggest settlement. As crowded as it can get in the echo of the Black, I've grown accustomed to the constant presence of their minds. 
Something of a comfort I suppose.

Over and out - Pilot Albatross.

____________________________

Tag, you're it.

Crazy, laughing, no stopping this time. Around and around, statistics predict a thirty percent chance of landing where I am. Allie's laughing, laughing at my silly faces, chase her round and round the ship, careful not to catch her till she's done. Zoe's always grateful for a break from the littlest lioness. Cap'n comes to check on his Angel and Albatross, see's cargo shifted a mite.
One step on the stairs, grip finally wears off, tumble, tumble, so slow, maybe if I hurry... Too late, he steps, and all goes upside wrong. So scared, Allie's frightened, so much pain, something snapped. Cap'n cussing, everyone running, running, can't seem to move, ribbons of people unspool past the thing called river.
I'm hiding again. Understand, won't comprehend. Everything was going so shiny...

_________________________________

Simple Complete Fracture of the Tibia.

Cap'n broke his leg, snapped like a twig don't know why it happened, haven't done anything again. Simon finds me, curled up tight, vents that don't really vent are still vents, just forgotten in their purpose.
Wasn't my fault he says, just ill luck is all. Cap'ns going to be fine, sent everybody away, just wants to see me afore he sleeps again. 
I can't go, won't go, he'll be mad again, make my head hurt like before, won't go through that again, please Simon, don't make me go.
But I go, and I move, and my feet carry me down past Simon, to the Infirmary. Stupid feet.
Cap'n on his back, left leg wrapped in layers of guilt and gauze. Kinda smiles when he sees me, thoughts wrapped in a haze of Morphine, easier to hide.
"Hey little one, you ok?" Five words, so different than I thought they would be. 
"My analysis indicates that in situations like this I should be inquiring as to your physical state of being." He chuckles quietly as he slips into a world of his own making, filled with pretty lights and Inara's face. I stay here alone, in the cold room that once filled my waking nightmares.

Time enough to harass Simon later.

_______________________________________

Just Another Drop Off.

We land on Dyton today. Cap'ns still laid up, can't even sit up all the way without help. But a job is a job, and Zoe's suggestion made him roar. Big kitty, can't fight back just now. Good idea, worked before, just goes against his grain. Half an hours time, Zoe will be heading out to the drop-off, with Jayne as backup. 
And me.

________________________________________

The Misfit in his Mind.

Will he choose, or will he stay, stay inside while others play?
 Fight the fight that isn't his, loves a women that doesn't live. Wants a child that's never been. 
A past not secret, his secrets not passed, a babble of voice you never hear, a silence unspoken in the sky still unclear.

You can't hear me anyway.


*read River's Diary everyday at www.riversdiary.tumblr.com, or follow her on Twitter and Facebook!*

-many a Thanks to my Beta, GreenKa61. wow! To six parts, and six more! Ji-

No comments:

Post a Comment